Neutered!!

 


We did it! It's over! My God, what a long week it's been. Poor sweet Amir finally got neutered. He also had a broken canine pulled and a microchip implanted. I think he thinks he's being punished. My poor prince.

Actually, the whole thing went down with remarkable precision and no complications, but until today the hours of the days and nights crawled. Thank you Mayfield Veterinarian Hospital and Dr, Rebecca Alexander for making this ordeal as easy as possible. Sorry I've been calling you Dr. Ryan for months. I really need to read my invoices more thoroughly. 

The house was on lockdown due to Amir's escape and lengthy absence from Sunday until Tuesday morning. I slept terribly those nights, listening for meows outside. I checked often, and twice found cat prints in the snow. Why didn't I hear him? Why didn't he say something? 

Wednesday night,  I had until ten o'clock to give Amir his pills and his last food. So at seven p.m. Grendel got dinner, Amir got a wee snack. He looked at me with sorrow.

Why Mommy? Is this because I didn't come home when I was supposed to?

No, sweet baby. *Smooches and cuddles* Mommy will fix later. 


I had spoken to my vets and it was agreed that we would use Gabapentin to make the fasting easier on Amir. It's a painkiller, but it's also used to calm spicy kitties before their surgeries and control their appetites. Without it, the always hungry Amir would have been badly stressed out, clawing at windows and crying for food. 

At 9:30, I crushed two Gabapentin into a tiny bit of wet food. When he finished that, I gave him the rest of his dinner. While he wolfed it, I put away all treats and kibble, swept the floor and checked riddle toys for random bits. I was allowed to leave water out. 

The night was long. Both cats paced and meowed, looking for their kibble bowl, no doubt. Often times, I wake up around four a.m. because I have an old bladder. Sometimes me and the boys get a little snack. Yogurt for me, a teaspoon of wet food or treats for them. But no noms for anyone this time.

When my alarm went off at six, the first thing I did was give Amir one last Gabapentin. Such a good boy. I approached from behind, opened his mouth slightly, and administered the easiest cat pill in the history of the planet. I've NEVER seen him be so obedient. I even got him into the cat carrier by myself. He really must have thought he was in trouble...or the Gabapentin from the night before made him that docile.

I wasn't able to eat breakfast. I just couldn't bear to eat in front of them. It seemed like a mean thing to do. I knew Grendel would be okay. His breakfast would be late, but he's not as food crazy as he used to be. 

Everything else was quick and seamless. Got ready for work, put Amir in the carrier. Put Grendel in the bedroom, and pulled the car out of the garage. Brought carrier out and buckled Amir in. Let Grendel out and fed him, used that distraction to leave and be 15 minutes early for the vet. 

Once back at home, Amir ate well but was sullen and quiet. Mostly...He'd spend impressive bursts of energy scratching at the door and howling, only to flop to the floor in exhaustion. He shirked the cone off twice. I was worried, and felt guilty but this HAD to be done. I'm just glad he never has to do it again. 

Today is Friday. Amir is back to his old self, and everyone feels a lot better. He's got a lot of meds to take, but he's not licking. Don't worry...I'm watching him like video surveillance. Cone goes back on when he does. I'm grateful to Mayfield and for Gabapentin. This could have been a lot harder than it was. 







 

Comments

Popular Posts