Grendel's Game

 




It seems Grendel and I are playing a new game. I think I may have started it. 

Remember when I said how much I loved giving Freya kisses as she slept? Grendel is also especially adorable sleeping on that same bed. He curls up into a little black hole with a toothy little smile, and I must kiss him. I must nuzzle that sweet face each and every time I enter the room and he is napping peacefully. He's particularly irresistible if he's covering his eyes with one paw. 

Now...Things have changed around here since my sister moved in, and one of those things involves me crashing in the basement. I was born with insomnia it seems, and I've had issues for years with finding sleeping spaces in my own house that work for me. I made the decision to create a personalized rest space on my old futon downstairs. Oddly enough, those mattresses don't bother my back, and so far it's working. 

 I didn't realize that Grendel got the zoomies. Now I realize that I just never knew where he spends them. 

It begins with racing and chirping through my room. Now that I sleep down there, he's decided that turnabout is fair play. He likes to jump on my pillow and yell "RRRRR?" in my face. I think it's cat speak for "How do you like them apples?" I give him neck scritchies and burrow under the comforters as he purrs as loud as he can.  

I didn't realize Grendel was such a biscuit maker either. He starts at my chest and works his way down my stomach, past my hip until he can fall asleep cuddling my shin. So much for an effective sleep space. 

But I haven't learned a thing. In the day time, I still look for him sleeping upstairs, curled into a space void, and I kiss his face. Then I paw at him and pet him, and we start the game again. I don't sleep on his body parts, but I have thought about making him a little spoon. 

Comments

Popular Posts